Abbott WMM

Abbott WMM

Monday, March 28, 2016

3 Weeks: Prepping to Run Boston with Meb's Team

Next month I'll be shaking out my arms in the starting corral of the 120th B.A.A. Boston Marathon, getting ready to finish my sixth (and last!) of the Abbott World Marathon Majors. I can hardly believe it, even as I type that sentence. But the feelings I have about this race are so much more intense than I ever expected. Richer. More fulfilling. I am a charity runner. And I am so immensely grateful.

Ahhh! This came this weekend!

I did not expect this. In fact, as recently as a year ago, I questioned running for charity. I felt like people would think I was "cheating" because I didn't gain entry through qualifying. My husband helped me change my perspective on a date night by asking me what my goal was. Running all the majors was the answer. This was a rhetorical question, and it annoyed me that he asked. But then he said "well, then who cares if you don't qualify? Qualifying has never been your goal. Your goal is to run it - so find a way to get in." This was true, but I hadn't ever viewed it that way. He finished by telling me I was giving up too easy, which helped spark my fire. He was right, I needed to find a way to reach my goal.

One of the beautiful things about marathoning is that it constantly changes your viewpoints. And the evolution I have had in the months since that dinner has been among the most significant I've experienced preparing for 26.2. I am running for the MEB Foundation - founded by marathon champion Meb Keflizighi, which empowers youth to "Maintain Excellent Balance" by providing excellent tools to lead healthy lifestyles, engage in academics and learn positive life skills through sports. (I am accepting donations through April 14th here!).


Meb's Team is one of the charities that is part of Charity Teams, an organization that helps smaller non-profits raise money through various marathon teams. Becoming a part of the Charity Teams family has been one of the coolest running experiences I've ever had. I've run marathons for charity before, but this a whole new playing field - as it should be for the most historic marathon in the world! It's a whole community, connected both online and in person. These runners and fundraisers are extremely supportive - meeting for long runs (lots of people even fly in for them!), sharing fundraising ideas, contributing to each others' fundraisers and just being incredibly supportive otherwise. You know what else they are? Dedicated. I've been impressed and inspired by their level of passion and the commitment they have to their responsibility to their charities. Being connected to them has given me such a greater respect for my own obligation. It is nothing to be taken lightly. And, it turns out it is also much harder than I expected

When I started the process of applying for a spot on Meb's Team, my focus was my own personal goal. Now, I've become acutely aware of how important our jobs are - helping raise funds for the wonderful work of these smaller charities which don't have the national recognition that bigger organizations enjoy. And, after spending months trying to further the MEB Foundation mission, soliciting donations and writing thank you cards I've realized how much good is around me. As people contribute, the notes of support and calls and texts have  made me realize just how many wonderful people by which I am surrounded. It's humbling. I am running for something other than myself, made possible by people other than myself. It's the complete opposite of how this started. It's difficult to find words to express how that makes me feel, but I've spent many hours on my runs in contemplative gratitude.

When I gear up on race day, I will be representing the MEB Foundation, Charity Teams, and all of those who have contributed. It is such an honor to have this be the culmination of my journey.

For those of you who want to run the Boston marathon, but are struggling with whether to apply for a charity spot, I would strongly encourage you do so. The charitable programs are a huge part of the marathon and its spirit. Last year the Boston Marathon raised over $15 million for various charities! If you're uncertain because of the commitment to raising at least $5,000, I would encourage you to do research ahead of time. Know which charities you could be emotionally invested in, because that will help you sustain the energy it takes to fulfill your commitment. Additionally, look at fundraising plans and events that others have done, and bring some initial ideas to your application. Look into local businesses or your employer, because many have matching programs.

If you're uncertain because you feel like this might be "cheating" like I did initially - let me set this straight right now. Charity runners are an important part of the Boston Marathon (and indeed, many other marathons!), and securing an entry through that means does not make you "less" than securing an entry with a qualifying time. Consider that the Boston Marathon didn't even have a qualifying standard until 1970, which is pretty recent for a race that is 120 year old! And, those times (and now cut offs within them) have changed over the years to manage the field. I mean to tell you this because just because you may not be able to achieve a time cut off at this particular point in history, you should not let it prevent you from experiencing the race. I know a few people who are qualifying purists, and if you are motivated by that external threshold - have at it! It's an amazing accomplishment! I may even try to reach it at some point in the future. But, I want to run all the majors. And, I don't know what the future holds. I'm almost 40 and not interested in postponing my dreams. So I'm going after it now.

Lucky for me, by taking this path I have gotten to know some amazing people who are doing some pretty fantastic things. It's gotten me thinking about how else I can turn my passion for running into helping others. My wheels are definitely turning, but I'm trying to stay focused on the task at hand for the next three weeks....

Right on Hereford. Left on Boylston.








3 comments:

  1. I love this! I too have set a goal for myself to run all the WMM by the time I am 60, but I know Boston will probably be my stumbling block. New York and London complete, Berlin coming up this year ~ I can't wait! Huge fan and admirer of Meb ~ met him when I ran NY in 2014 and selfied with him at his half marathon in San Diego last year ~ I had no clue you could get into Boston viaa charity!Good luck on Monday and congratulations on fulfilling your dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet. Thanks so much for your comment! I'm excited that you're on this journey too! You should absolutely consider running Boston via charity. It was an amazing experience. I am so glad I did it. Men has a small team which is run through Charity Teams. Charity Teams has many small non-profits that need runners to raise funding. You should check them out! The commitment is steep - you must raise $5000, so it's a serious task. But well worth it!! Best of luck!

      Delete
    2. *MEB, not men, has a small team. lol.

      Delete